If I was asked to sum up the one thing I help others to accomplish, the most important thing I feel I was put on this earth to do, I'd answer I help others to live their dreams. No matter who you, where you are in your life, or what you want to accomplish, you can accomplish your dreams. Here are 4 steps that I guide all of my dream clients through:
1. Identify your dream. Take a few moments and imagine your big, ultimate, I-was-put-on-this-earth-to-accomplish dream. Now take out a sheet of paper and write "My Big Dream" on the top, consider and answer:
- What does your dream look like?
- Who's there?
- What are you doing?
- Where are you?
- What have you accomplished?
- Who are you working with?
- What are you like?
2. Write out your goals. Now that you have your dream fully imagined, take a look at it. You'll notice goals within your dream that need to be accomplished in order to fully realize and live your dream. Perhaps your dream is to travel across the world to teach children who to create art and tap into their creativity. Some goals might be:
- establish a location to teach in
- identify what age group you want to teach
- gather art supplies to teach the actual class
- jot down countries you want to teach in
- gather contacts and resources that can help you
*Tip: imagine you've accomplished your dream and you're walking backwards on that path that you took to get there. Now list off things that had to happen in order to realize your dream, starting with the very last thing you did in order to accomplish your dreams. This technique is something I learned from the 30-Minute Strategy.
3. Create a plan. Now that you have your goals, organize them in sequence from now till the your Big Dream is accomplished and give them a deadline. Using the example goals from above, I'd organize the goals like this:
- identify why you want to do this | October 2014
- identify what age group you want to teach | November 2014
- jot down countries you want to teach in | January 2015
- gather contacts and resources that can help you | April 2015
- create lessons | July 2015
- schedule in classes | July 2015
- gather art supplies to teach the actual class | August 2015
- teach first class | September 2015
4. Follow through. You have your dreams, your goals, your deadlines, now all that's left is for you to follow through.